Reconstituted limestone retaining is a very common sight in landscaping jobs throughout Perth and is favoured by many property developers and homeowners, due to its adaptable and durable nature. The blocks consist of a combination of crushed limestone and cement, both of which add to the strength and durability of the product. This type of retaining is most frequently used when a wall is higher than 1800mm, or if it needs to be load bearing. Different surface finishes are also available, such as stone, split, polished and honed. While the most popular colour seen around Perth is the traditional light cream limestone colour, several suppliers also stock other colours, ranging from rustic reds, to cool greys. Typical limestone block dimensions are 200mm wide by 500mm long by 350mm high and despite their solid appearance; these can be used in a range of different landscaping applications.
Design tip: When selecting the block colour and finish for your garden design, consider the overall aesthetic you are trying to achieve and opt for a finish to further compliment this. For example, a darker rustic red finish may work nicely if you are in a more rural location, such as the Perth Hills.
Steel retaining is definitely in a league of it’s own. Several companies are now specialling solely in steel retaining and garden edging and it can be an excellent design solution for a whole range of landscaping situations in Perth. Depending on the supplier, there is a range of steel finishes available, with the two most popular being galvanised steel and a rustic weathered steel, or corten look steel. As you would imagine the generic steel finish is just that. It will often be very shiny when first installed and tends to become more neutral in colour as it ages. However, it can also be powder coated, so you could introduce a range of colours to your landscape design if desired. If earthy tones are more your thing, a corten steel look edging may be the way to go. Surprisingly this material doesn’t look overly special when it is first installed, but as it is exposed to the elements, it will slowly start to transform into a gorgeous rusty finish and this process can take several months. Steel retaining also comes in varying heights up to approximately 850mm high. The important thing to remember for higher profiles, is that these will require further strength, which is achieved by approximately a third of the overall profile height being buried in the soil and held in place with stakes. Steel retaining is also incredibly durable and can be bent and shaped as required, to achieve the desired results.
Design tip: There are numerous application options for steel retaining in your landscaping project in Perth. For example, if you have an area with a level change that requires some steps, you could consider using corten look steel edging as the step riser for something a bit different.
Need Us To Help With Your Garden?
- I used Luke’s Landscaping to provide an overhaul of my front lawn with the task to reduce the amount of lawn and increase the low maintenance area including a rock feature. Also, they were used to provide a major landscaping overhaul for my Daughter’s back garden including lawns, garden beds and low water usage reticulation. All work was carried out within the agreed time schedule. The staff are very accommodating and pleasant to deal with. The work completed with efficiency, and all aspects were well-coordinated. The materials used were of a good quality that enhances the finished product. My daughter and I are very pleased with results.Warwick
- I take this opportunity to thank you for a job well done. This is the second time I have used your services. Not only because you did such a good, clean and efficient job, but also the fact you responded to my inquiry in a professional and timely manner unlike many others who I had to recall and I still couldn’t get any response. I would also like to thank your staff who worked diligently until the job was done to our satisfaction particularly giving my wife and myself peace of mind. Therefore, I will always recommend your services to any family or friends, in fact if you need to send any prospective clients to view our garden feel free to do so. If you require any verbal reference feel free to have your client contact me. We wish you all the success in the future with your business.Aldo and Karen
- I have used Luke’s Landscaping to do a major overhaul to the landscaping at my house and lots of other makeovers at my rental properties in the last three years. The professional service, fantastic results and the quick turnaround has meant that Luke is the first guy I call for my landscaping needs. I have been thrilled with the results and pleased with the attention to detail. I am happy to recommend this business.Paul
- I could give Luke’s Landscaping a higher recommendation. They handled my front yard from design through to completion and I was so impressed by their work, attention to detail and communication at each step of the process. Such a great experience and I love coming home to my new front yard!Estelle
- Oh wow, where do I start . . . Right from our first contact with Luke we had a good feeling about it. Luke was friendly, approachable, knowledgeable, and very enthusiastic to meet our needs. He provided us with some much needed direction for our gardening endeavours, was professional, and always available to answer our questions. Once we decided on a plan, he coordinated all of the services and items that were needed, and provided us with an exceptionally hard working, and skilled, landscaper in Derick. Luke visited the project on several occasions, to make sure we were happy with it’s progress, to make some minor tweaks here and there, or deliver something that was needed. Our landscape project was relatively small but we never felt like we didn’t matter. The project started on time, and finished on time, and the yard was left spick and span. It’s a vast improvement on what was there before it, and given it’s almost spring, it shouldn’t be long before our garden takes on it’s real shape. We could not be happier with the end result, the price, and the service that we received from Luke and Derick. If you are looking to have a landscaping job done, either big or small, I’d definitely recommend giving Luke a call.Rick and Clare
Our front yard in Karrinyup was completely transformed in March 2015. In just one week, the team completed the job of removing what was there, replaced the topsoil, installed the reticulation and mulched with native plants. Four months on we are still so impressed with the job and delighted that we used Luke’s Landscaping. Highly recommended!