Reconstituted limestone retaining is a very common sight in landscaping jobs throughout Perth and is favoured by many property developers and homeowners, due to its adaptable and durable nature. The blocks consist of a combination of crushed limestone and cement, both of which add to the strength and durability of the product. This type of retaining is most frequently used when a wall is higher than 1800mm, or if it needs to be load bearing. Different surface finishes are also available, such as stone, split, polished and honed. While the most popular colour seen around Perth is the traditional light cream limestone colour, several suppliers also stock other colours, ranging from rustic reds, to cool greys. Typical limestone block dimensions are 200mm wide by 500mm long by 350mm high and despite their solid appearance; these can be used in a range of different landscaping applications.
Design tip: When selecting the block colour and finish for your garden design, consider the overall aesthetic you are trying to achieve and opt for a finish to further compliment this. For example, a darker rustic red finish may work nicely if you are in a more rural location, such as the Perth Hills.
Steel retaining is definitely in a league of it’s own. Several companies are now specialling solely in steel retaining and garden edging and it can be an excellent design solution for a whole range of landscaping situations in Perth. Depending on the supplier, there is a range of steel finishes available, with the two most popular being galvanised steel and a rustic weathered steel, or corten look steel. As you would imagine the generic steel finish is just that. It will often be very shiny when first installed and tends to become more neutral in colour as it ages. However, it can also be powder coated, so you could introduce a range of colours to your landscape design if desired. If earthy tones are more your thing, a corten steel look edging may be the way to go. Surprisingly this material doesn’t look overly special when it is first installed, but as it is exposed to the elements, it will slowly start to transform into a gorgeous rusty finish and this process can take several months. Steel retaining also comes in varying heights up to approximately 850mm high. The important thing to remember for higher profiles, is that these will require further strength, which is achieved by approximately a third of the overall profile height being buried in the soil and held in place with stakes. Steel retaining is also incredibly durable and can be bent and shaped as required, to achieve the desired results.
Design tip: There are numerous application options for steel retaining in your landscaping project in Perth. For example, if you have an area with a level change that requires some steps, you could consider using corten look steel edging as the step riser for something a bit different.
Need Us To Help With Your Garden?
- Our terrace house had a sad and seldom used rear courtyard which has absolutely no access other than via our living areas. This we thought would be a show-stopper but Luke’s landscaping had the expertise to take it on and swiftly provided us with a lovely design and costed implementation plan, which has simply transformed this area into a valuable extension of our living space. The construction work was carried out most diligently and despite having to transport removed debris, new limestone blocks and pavers, soil, mulch and many plants (including a very large tree) through our home, the professionalism of the whole process and the final cleanup left no sign of the major operation that had been undertaken, either internally or externally. Luke’s follow up on the project to address a couple of small issues has also been most helpful and certainly won’t hesitate in recommending Luke’s landscaping to others who have admired this transformed area! Thankyou.Catriona
Our front yard in Karrinyup was completely transformed in March 2015. In just one week, the team completed the job of removing what was there, replaced the topsoil, installed the reticulation and mulched with native plants. Four months on we are still so impressed with the job and delighted that we used Luke’s Landscaping. Highly recommended!
- I used Luke’s Landscaping to provide an overhaul of my front lawn with the task to reduce the amount of lawn and increase the low maintenance area including a rock feature. Also, they were used to provide a major landscaping overhaul for my Daughter’s back garden including lawns, garden beds and low water usage reticulation. All work was carried out within the agreed time schedule. The staff are very accommodating and pleasant to deal with. The work completed with efficiency, and all aspects were well-coordinated. The materials used were of a good quality that enhances the finished product. My daughter and I are very pleased with results.Warwick
- Luke & his team did quite a large landscaping job for us. Lisa came up with a design that we loved & was involved from start to finish. Any little issues that came up along the way were dealt with quickly & efficiently. The quality of Mark’s work & his attention to detail were outstanding. We are thrilled with our new yard & highly recommend Luke’s Landscaping.Kelly
- Luke's work has produced a beautiful Spring garden! Our home is now surrounded by a beautiful, healthy and blossoming Spring garden! All the hard work earlier in the year by Luke and his dedicated team is now evident - from the luscious green growth, to the well watered lawns. With the emphasis on the use of enriched soil, suitable plants and planting locations, plus the updating of the reticulation system - our garden will flourish for many years to come! Thanks Luke and your Team! P & J ChurchlandsP. Mahoney
- I could give Luke’s Landscaping a higher recommendation. They handled my front yard from design through to completion and I was so impressed by their work, attention to detail and communication at each step of the process. Such a great experience and I love coming home to my new front yard!Estelle