Why using a landscape designer is essential
If you’re in the process of building a new custom home or considering significant renovations to your existing home, it’s very likely that you have asked yourself the question “do I need a landscape designer?” This is a common question that we get asked and we would love to help shed some light on why using a landscape designer can be essential. Your landscaping project could be one of the most significant investments of your life. Knowing you are investing wisely is crucial for a successful outcome.
There are many considerations that will guide you down your chosen path in relation to your landscaping project. For example, you may ask yourself “is this our forever home?”, “will the kids move out soon now they are getting older?”, “should we get a pool now so our kids can enjoy it before they get too old?”, “How much should I invest on this project?”. Every situation and every space is unique. Not only due to the size, shape and orientation of the space, but alsowhat suits you and your lifestyle and what is unique to your personality. There are many factors to consider beyond just what materials to use, how to install it, what looks great and what is good value.
Landscape designer versus landscaper
Transforming your landscape into a dream outdoor space is an exciting project. But, who do you need to help you? A landscape architect/designer or a landscaper? What’s the difference? Essentially, a landscape architect/designer is a professional who designs outdoor spaces and gardens by preparing detailed plans, sketches or concepts for clients. They can also assist in overseeing the buildprocess and landscape contractors to make sure the design intent comes to fruition. A landscaper, on the other hand is a professional capable of installing the works such as decks, pergolas and bbq’s, as well as paving, retaining walls, pools and much more.
Many people nowadays are seeking advice from organisations that provide both landscape design and landscaping (construction) services. This alleviates the need to tender out your landscape design to installation companies and reduces the risk of your design costing too much to build. It is quite common that garden designs created by design-only professionals cannot ever be built because the investment is too high – this can be soul destroying, especially after you fall in love with the design put before you. Decisions early in the peace need to be the right ones, even if you need to pay a little extra to avoid disappointment.
But do I really need a landscape designer?
Unless you work in this small, somewhat niche market, of landscape design and construction in Perth, you may not know what is going to be the best outcome for your landscaping project. This is where many people speak with professional landscape designers to assist them with visualising their project. You may have considered what you want in your outdoor space and seen concepts that you love. This may be physical materials (like exposed aggregate concrete or Travertine tiling) or it may be emotional elements (like a play space for the kids or a nice shaded spot to read a book).
Professional landscape designers can take these elements of your ideas and produce beautiful cohesive proposals based on their experience of what works & what doesn’t. The skill of a landscape designer lies in their balance of creative flair, sound knowledge of plants, materials andconstruction concepts and also their listening skills. They will listen to your vision and show you how to turn that into a reality. Another important skill is restraint. Sometimes you simply can’t have everything,and a good designer will lead you carefully.
What is important when choosing a landscape designer?
The relationship between you (as the client) and the landscape designer should be a good one. It is vital that there is good understanding of each other. This early phase on conceptual design sets the path for the following weeks or months of the design direction and potential construction. It’s not just a matter of what finish you will have on the brick planter, it’s a matter of whether there is a brick planter there at all. Ensuring your landscape designer is on the same wavelength as you is crucial to ensuring you will be happy at the end of the process.
What kind of design should I expect?
Investing into your landscaping project can be expensive (generally more than you initially thought). The design will determine the bottom-line installation cost and this will usually be calculated on material, labour and complexity. Carefully considered design will factor in all of these elements. You will need to draw on the expertise of a quality landscape designer to ensure the path laid before you is the right one. These experts will charge you for their expertise and time. The service they provide can vary based on how complex your project is, what level of design presentation you are looking for (2D or 3D) how many revisions you require, what level of specifications will be provided, just to name a few. You can expect to pay more for the level of experience the designer offers too.
The level of design differs between designers and companies. There are many ways to provide a visual proposal. However, with the advancements of technology, 3D design is paving the way. Moving fly-through videos of your landscape project, photo realistic perspective designs, even virtual reality! It’s exciting to see your project in 3D and allows you to visualise yourself in that outdoor space. Expect to pay extra for those high-end design presentations, but they certainly do have a place in today’s market.
The benefits of paying for a landscape design
Though the cost for landscape design can vary depending on the individual landscape designer and their experience and reputation, one thing for certain is that there is value in having a professional landscape design produced for your project.
We understand it’s often hard for some people to justify paying for a landscape design plan on top of financing the construction. It can certainly add to the overall costs, but it can also save you in the long run and provide better results.
Working with a landscape designer will allow you to explore different options for your garden and outdoor space. A good designer will also be able to understand your lifestyle, your needs and your vision andcreate an outdoor spacethat is the perfect fit for you.”
Be assured that you are paying for much more than a few pieces of paper in a landscape design. Landscape designers are highly qualified professionals and their time and expertise is valuable. There is much more to a landscape design than creating just a conceptual design. Professional landscape designers have the expertise and knowledge to consider all aspects of the design and build from how to make best use of the available space, irrigation, softscaping, construction planning, drainage, lighting, building legislation and so much more.
Creating a landscape without a plan opens the doors for costly mistakes. Having a properly considered landscape design is like having a roadmap to help you get to your desired destination. It can also help your construction job run smoother with your contractors to ensure everything is in accordance with a schedule and Council regulations. It can help you avoid costly disputes with contractors if you don’t get what you had envisioned. A designer may also present to you innovative options you hadn’t previously considered.
How can Luke’s Landscaping work with you?
If you are in this crucial decision point and want to make the right decision, phone us to speak to one of our experienced designers here at Luke’s Landscaping Co. where all the different phases can be handled in the most professional and efficient manner. We live and breathe outdoor landscaping and external renovation works and we are more than happy to discuss the best path forward for you and your project.
Let’s chat about your unique project..
- I used Luke’s Landscaping to provide an overhaul of my front lawn with the task to reduce the amount of lawn and increase the low maintenance area including a rock feature. Also, they were used to provide a major landscaping overhaul for my Daughter’s back garden including lawns, garden beds and low water usage reticulation. All work was carried out within the agreed time schedule. The staff are very accommodating and pleasant to deal with. The work completed with efficiency, and all aspects were well-coordinated. The materials used were of a good quality that enhances the finished product. My daughter and I are very pleased with results.Warwick
- Our terrace house had a sad and seldom used rear courtyard which has absolutely no access other than via our living areas. This we thought would be a show-stopper but Luke’s landscaping had the expertise to take it on and swiftly provided us with a lovely design and costed implementation plan, which has simply transformed this area into a valuable extension of our living space. The construction work was carried out most diligently and despite having to transport removed debris, new limestone blocks and pavers, soil, mulch and many plants (including a very large tree) through our home, the professionalism of the whole process and the final cleanup left no sign of the major operation that had been undertaken, either internally or externally. Luke’s follow up on the project to address a couple of small issues has also been most helpful and certainly won’t hesitate in recommending Luke’s landscaping to others who have admired this transformed area! Thankyou.Catriona
- Oh wow, where do I start . . . Right from our first contact with Luke we had a good feeling about it. Luke was friendly, approachable, knowledgeable, and very enthusiastic to meet our needs. He provided us with some much needed direction for our gardening endeavours, was professional, and always available to answer our questions. Once we decided on a plan, he coordinated all of the services and items that were needed, and provided us with an exceptionally hard working, and skilled, landscaper in Derick. Luke visited the project on several occasions, to make sure we were happy with it’s progress, to make some minor tweaks here and there, or deliver something that was needed. Our landscape project was relatively small but we never felt like we didn’t matter. The project started on time, and finished on time, and the yard was left spick and span. It’s a vast improvement on what was there before it, and given it’s almost spring, it shouldn’t be long before our garden takes on it’s real shape. We could not be happier with the end result, the price, and the service that we received from Luke and Derick. If you are looking to have a landscaping job done, either big or small, I’d definitely recommend giving Luke a call.Rick and Clare
- I take this opportunity to thank you for a job well done. This is the second time I have used your services. Not only because you did such a good, clean and efficient job, but also the fact you responded to my inquiry in a professional and timely manner unlike many others who I had to recall and I still couldn’t get any response. I would also like to thank your staff who worked diligently until the job was done to our satisfaction particularly giving my wife and myself peace of mind. Therefore, I will always recommend your services to any family or friends, in fact if you need to send any prospective clients to view our garden feel free to do so. If you require any verbal reference feel free to have your client contact me. We wish you all the success in the future with your business.Aldo and Karen
- Luke & his team did quite a large landscaping job for us. Lisa came up with a design that we loved & was involved from start to finish. Any little issues that came up along the way were dealt with quickly & efficiently. The quality of Mark’s work & his attention to detail were outstanding. We are thrilled with our new yard & highly recommend Luke’s Landscaping.Kelly
Our front yard in Karrinyup was completely transformed in March 2015. In just one week, the team completed the job of removing what was there, replaced the topsoil, installed the reticulation and mulched with native plants. Four months on we are still so impressed with the job and delighted that we used Luke’s Landscaping. Highly recommended!