Microclimates and Perth Garden Design
A good landscape design should work with the local conditions to make or build on a variety of microclimates. With an average of 600-800mm (up to 1200mm in the Perth Hills) and a temperature range of 41 to 14 from summer to winter, Perths’ overall climate is enviable. On a local garden by garden-scale though, these conditions can be much more variable. A microclimate is defined by a range of factors including sunlight, temperature, air circulation and depth of soil. One suburban block can have everything from full shade to full sun exposure, so it’s a good idea to understand how to incorporate this information into a practical and functional garden design and plant selection. As a first step in developing a garden, a landscape designer would map out and record these areas.
A simplified example of a Perth garden, would be something like this-
Front garden area, bounded by concreted and paving and facing west. Can be used for offstreet parking, bin storage and all weather access, carport coverage.
Full -Partial Shade zone:
Along either side of the house, for example outside the laundry side of the block, often on the southern side of the block. Although, modern housing developments leave little room between fence and the house, there is still scope to maximise gardens in this space.
Rear garden area, partially shaded by mature trees and structures like a patio. Mostly protected from the heat of the afternoon sun and strong winds. This may be the largest and most commonly used zone for the whole family, used for every activity from backyard cricket to sit down entertainment space. This may also incorporate a pool or spa zone.
In each one of these microclimate zones, there will be a plant selection that performs best in those conditions. A Landscape design plan will list a range of plants, suited to these conditions in Perth gardens.
Arid zone plants
Like succulents, agaves, and some forms of cactus can make a great feature in these zones. With little need for constant care and maintenance this is one of the most waterwise styles of planting. One of the main considerations to take into account with these plants is making sure that drainage is good. If there are walkways or paths through these microclimates, take this into account when locating any cactus plantings
Full-Partial Shade zone plants
Can be ferns and bromeliads, palms, ornamental gingers, and other plants that like a protected position, with a good supply of water and less frost. If space is limited you can even consider using fences and house walls to setup a vertical garden. There is also the option in these zones to use plants in pots or narrow raised garden beds. Pots can be moved as the seasons change and raised garden beds can build the soil profile to ensure a cool root zone for some the shade loving plants
Temperate zone plants
The range of suitable plants for this zone is highly varied. A garden design can incorporate a vegetable patch, firepit, swimming pool, outdoor kitchen, ornamental garden, hedging and screening. The options are virtually limited only by the space available, all the more reason to design well for those conditions.
Making the most of the Perth conditions, maximising the use of space, and landscaping a garden that flows neatly from one microclimate zone to another is something that makes for a great garden design. With experience, some of the top tips for designing for microclimates can become a natural process.
Need Us To Help With Your Garden?
- Oh wow, where do I start . . . Right from our first contact with Luke we had a good feeling about it. Luke was friendly, approachable, knowledgeable, and very enthusiastic to meet our needs. He provided us with some much needed direction for our gardening endeavours, was professional, and always available to answer our questions. Once we decided on a plan, he coordinated all of the services and items that were needed, and provided us with an exceptionally hard working, and skilled, landscaper in Derick. Luke visited the project on several occasions, to make sure we were happy with it’s progress, to make some minor tweaks here and there, or deliver something that was needed. Our landscape project was relatively small but we never felt like we didn’t matter. The project started on time, and finished on time, and the yard was left spick and span. It’s a vast improvement on what was there before it, and given it’s almost spring, it shouldn’t be long before our garden takes on it’s real shape. We could not be happier with the end result, the price, and the service that we received from Luke and Derick. If you are looking to have a landscaping job done, either big or small, I’d definitely recommend giving Luke a call.Rick and Clare
- Quick efficient work. Friendly staff, great price.Sam
- The team from Luke's have been out to place twice to 1) fix up a messy retic installation by the previous owners of our house 2) fully automate our retic. My experience in a nutshell - excellent communication, service and always on time. Each invoice has included a list of recommendations for further improving our setup, which is really handy as a reference. They also proactively called and asked for feedback on team members and I can't think of another business I've dealt with recently that has had any interest in the customer experience. Highly recommended.Andrew
- Great job at our place. Great service and price.Yogi
- I take this opportunity to thank you for a job well done. This is the second time I have used your services. Not only because you did such a good, clean and efficient job, but also the fact you responded to my inquiry in a professional and timely manner unlike many others who I had to recall and I still couldn’t get any response. I would also like to thank your staff who worked diligently until the job was done to our satisfaction particularly giving my wife and myself peace of mind. Therefore, I will always recommend your services to any family or friends, in fact if you need to send any prospective clients to view our garden feel free to do so. If you require any verbal reference feel free to have your client contact me. We wish you all the success in the future with your business.Aldo and Karen
- I could give Luke’s Landscaping a higher recommendation. They handled my front yard from design through to completion and I was so impressed by their work, attention to detail and communication at each step of the process. Such a great experience and I love coming home to my new front yard!Estelle