Our landscape designer planned out the garden and drew a scale plan listing the requirements of the job, and the plants and materials to be used. All of our designers have a background in horticulture that is especially important when planning a garden.
We want to ensure we place the right plants in the correct positions and location to suit the local climate. Moreover, you want it to look great in 10 years’ time and grow together nicely. Having a landscape design also allows you to see on paper what your project looks like before starting.
We removed all of the old soil to a depth of approximately 200mm, including all of the weeds and debris and as much of the poor quality sandy soil as possible.
Most importantly we like to install around 100mm of good quality soil, with at least 100mm of mulch on top, without the area being 200mm higher than it surrounds!
We installed 100mm of soil conditioner to the area and incorporated it into the existing soil. Much of the ground in Perth is sandy with low nutrient content.
Adding soil conditioner to the existing soil can vastly improve its water carrying capability, it can help to encourage worms and microorganisms to establish, which has the added benefit of helping to aerate the soil. Soil conditioners can act as a slow release fertiliser and as a nutrient supply that the microorganisms can absorb.
Next we created a winding gravel path through the middle of the area. The installation of weed mat is an essential step to allow water to seep down through the path and also prevent weeds growing up through the pathway. The mat also stops the gravel sinking into the sand and ensures a professional finish.
The area for the pathway was retained using Link Edge (http://www.linkedge.com.au). This garden edging is easy to use and comes in very handy with many landscaping projects.
We installed subsurface drip reticulation designed to sit on the soil and below the mulch to allow watering to soak slowly into the ground. This Waterwise best practice works well with soil conditioner and mulch. The purpose of soil conditioner is to improve the water retention of the existing garden.
The drip-line distributes water very efficiently with almost 0% wastage right to the roots of the plants. The mulch helps keeps the water below ground by reducing evaporation. A correctly set up a subsurface mini drip-line system is the most efficient way to water your plants. The correct flushing valves, air release valves, disk filters and pressure regulators ensure this system works very well.
The plants were placed out, and the planting holes dug, we installed sheep manure, slow release fertiliser and wetter soil to the planting holes along with the existing soil with soil conditioner added to it. Once planted the plants were watered in, an essential part of the process. The client has specifically mentioned that they wanted some Protea Cyncroides, so we planted these in strategic locations.
Two Silver Birch Trees, known for their striking silver foliage and red flowers, were planted along with two Agonis Burgundy trees. We then planted out native grasses and shrubs throughout the area. These pictures were taken while all of the plants are small. Given two years from now the plants should have grown substantially in size and filled out, and the owners can expect to see a huge difference.
- Luke and his hard-working team did a great job transforming our home garden and lawn areas. His is attention to detail and expert advice were second to none. All staff assigned by Luke for our landscaping work were knowledgeable, courteous and considerate at all times. Luke has a long-term vision for landscaping projects - as evident from the careful choice of appropriate soil types and reticulation design/layout. Sustainable, beautiful gardens/landscaping is Luke's passion!Phil, Churchlands
- I used Luke’s Landscaping to provide an overhaul of my front lawn with the task to reduce the amount of lawn and increase the low maintenance area including a rock feature. Also, they were used to provide a major landscaping overhaul for my Daughter’s back garden including lawns, garden beds and low water usage reticulation. All work was carried out within the agreed time schedule. The staff are very accommodating and pleasant to deal with. The work completed with efficiency, and all aspects were well-coordinated. The materials used were of a good quality that enhances the finished product. My daughter and I are very pleased with results.Warwick
- I have used Luke’s Landscaping to do a major overhaul to the landscaping at my house and lots of other makeovers at my rental properties in the last three years. The professional service, fantastic results and the quick turnaround has meant that Luke is the first guy I call for my landscaping needs. I have been thrilled with the results and pleased with the attention to detail. I am happy to recommend this business.Paul
- We had our entire front Landscaping re-designed by Luke's Landscaping and they did a fantastic job. Works included new front letter box (brick, render, face plate), garden edging, reticulation install (dripper system) and planting design layout. All the trades were easy to deal with and very professional. The whole project was very well run by Allen who always kept us informed with what was happening and when. I would highly recommend.Brett, Harrisdale
- Luke & his team did quite a large landscaping job for us. Lisa came up with a design that we loved & was involved from start to finish. Any little issues that came up along the way were dealt with quickly & efficiently. The quality of Mark’s work & his attention to detail were outstanding. We are thrilled with our new yard & highly recommend Luke’s Landscaping.Kelly
- It was a pleasure working with John and the team to re-create my garden and patio area. John was extremely knowledgeable and offered expert advice. The on site team was professional, friendly and hard working. The site was left immaculate after the work was complete. This was a big job, taking 7 days to do (retaining walls, re-paving, garden, soakwells, reticulation etc) and the result is amazing. If you are looking for a quality, professional well priced job I would recommend you call Luke's Landscaping.Nicole, Duncraig