Our landscape designer planned out the garden and drew a scale plan listing the requirements of the job, and the plants and materials to be used. All of our designers have a background in horticulture that is especially important when planning a garden.
We want to ensure we place the right plants in the correct positions and location to suit the local climate. Moreover, you want it to look great in 10 years’ time and grow together nicely. Having a landscape design also allows you to see on paper what your project looks like before starting.
We removed all of the old soil to a depth of approximately 200mm, including all of the weeds and debris and as much of the poor quality sandy soil as possible.
Most importantly we like to install around 100mm of good quality soil, with at least 100mm of mulch on top, without the area being 200mm higher than it surrounds!
We installed 100mm of soil conditioner to the area and incorporated it into the existing soil. Much of the ground in Perth is sandy with low nutrient content.
Adding soil conditioner to the existing soil can vastly improve its water carrying capability, it can help to encourage worms and microorganisms to establish, which has the added benefit of helping to aerate the soil. Soil conditioners can act as a slow release fertiliser and as a nutrient supply that the microorganisms can absorb.
Next we created a winding gravel path through the middle of the area. The installation of weed mat is an essential step to allow water to seep down through the path and also prevent weeds growing up through the pathway. The mat also stops the gravel sinking into the sand and ensures a professional finish.
The area for the pathway was retained using Link Edge (http://www.linkedge.com.au). This garden edging is easy to use and comes in very handy with many landscaping projects.
We installed subsurface drip reticulation designed to sit on the soil and below the mulch to allow watering to soak slowly into the ground. This Waterwise best practice works well with soil conditioner and mulch. The purpose of soil conditioner is to improve the water retention of the existing garden.
The drip-line distributes water very efficiently with almost 0% wastage right to the roots of the plants. The mulch helps keeps the water below ground by reducing evaporation. A correctly set up a subsurface mini drip-line system is the most efficient way to water your plants. The correct flushing valves, air release valves, disk filters and pressure regulators ensure this system works very well.
The plants were placed out, and the planting holes dug, we installed sheep manure, slow release fertiliser and wetter soil to the planting holes along with the existing soil with soil conditioner added to it. Once planted the plants were watered in, an essential part of the process. The client has specifically mentioned that they wanted some Protea Cyncroides, so we planted these in strategic locations.
Two Silver Birch Trees, known for their striking silver foliage and red flowers, were planted along with two Agonis Burgundy trees. We then planted out native grasses and shrubs throughout the area. These pictures were taken while all of the plants are small. Given two years from now the plants should have grown substantially in size and filled out, and the owners can expect to see a huge difference.
- I take this opportunity to thank you for a job well done. This is the second time I have used your services. Not only because you did such a good, clean and efficient job, but also the fact you responded to my inquiry in a professional and timely manner unlike many others who I had to recall and I still couldn’t get any response. I would also like to thank your staff who worked diligently until the job was done to our satisfaction particularly giving my wife and myself peace of mind. Therefore, I will always recommend your services to any family or friends, in fact if you need to send any prospective clients to view our garden feel free to do so. If you require any verbal reference feel free to have your client contact me. We wish you all the success in the future with your business.Aldo and Karen
- Oh wow, where do I start . . . Right from our first contact with Luke we had a good feeling about it. Luke was friendly, approachable, knowledgeable, and very enthusiastic to meet our needs. He provided us with some much needed direction for our gardening endeavours, was professional, and always available to answer our questions. Once we decided on a plan, he coordinated all of the services and items that were needed, and provided us with an exceptionally hard working, and skilled, landscaper in Derick. Luke visited the project on several occasions, to make sure we were happy with it’s progress, to make some minor tweaks here and there, or deliver something that was needed. Our landscape project was relatively small but we never felt like we didn’t matter. The project started on time, and finished on time, and the yard was left spick and span. It’s a vast improvement on what was there before it, and given it’s almost spring, it shouldn’t be long before our garden takes on it’s real shape. We could not be happier with the end result, the price, and the service that we received from Luke and Derick. If you are looking to have a landscaping job done, either big or small, I’d definitely recommend giving Luke a call.Rick and Clare
- I could give Luke’s Landscaping a higher recommendation. They handled my front yard from design through to completion and I was so impressed by their work, attention to detail and communication at each step of the process. Such a great experience and I love coming home to my new front yard!Estelle
- I used Luke’s Landscaping to provide an overhaul of my front lawn with the task to reduce the amount of lawn and increase the low maintenance area including a rock feature. Also, they were used to provide a major landscaping overhaul for my Daughter’s back garden including lawns, garden beds and low water usage reticulation. All work was carried out within the agreed time schedule. The staff are very accommodating and pleasant to deal with. The work completed with efficiency, and all aspects were well-coordinated. The materials used were of a good quality that enhances the finished product. My daughter and I are very pleased with results.Warwick
Our front yard in Karrinyup was completely transformed in March 2015. In just one week, the team completed the job of removing what was there, replaced the topsoil, installed the reticulation and mulched with native plants. Four months on we are still so impressed with the job and delighted that we used Luke’s Landscaping. Highly recommended!
- Luke & his team did quite a large landscaping job for us. Lisa came up with a design that we loved & was involved from start to finish. Any little issues that came up along the way were dealt with quickly & efficiently. The quality of Mark’s work & his attention to detail were outstanding. We are thrilled with our new yard & highly recommend Luke’s Landscaping.Kelly