Most of the soil in Perth is very sandy without a lot of nutrients and organic matter in it. To have a beautiful, thriving garden we recommend amending or completely replacing the soil to a good depth.
Lawns generally need 100mm – 200mm of a good quality, free draining topsoil. Good examples of this are Special Lawn Mix and Landscape Mix. Both these soils contain organic matter and nutrients, as well as having the right water retention for the lawn to thrive on. The other way is to add high quality concentrates with a clay component, micro-organisms and organic matter with trace elements into the existing soil and mix it through thoroughly.
Gardens usually need large amounts of organic matter mixed into the existing soil. A few good products we use to achieve this are General Concentrate and Soil Conditioner. These rich soils are not suitable to be planted in directly and are mixed with the existing sand in a 1:1 ratio to improve it.
Another option is to completely replace the existing sand with Landscape Mix or similar. This way you can be assured that the plants have a quality soil to grow in.
We firmly believe that getting the foundations right is possibly the most important part of the whole process. The sad thing is that this part of the job is the most often overlooked by many of the landscapers in Perth. This almost often comes down to trying to provide a cheaper quote to win the job; or inexperience. Remember the cheapest quote does not always work out to be the cheapest in the long run! Having to fix up and add in more sprinklers, improve the soil constantly and replace lawn and plants can be very costly in the long run. The costs can be minimised by better preparation in the implementation of your landscaping.
If you have a landscape design, we can provide you with an irrigation design outlining the parts and the layout of the proposed irrigation system.
It’s not easy choosing a business that’s going to do a good job the first time around. Time and time again clients need us to completely replace lawns and gardens that are only a few years old because of poor planning and execution. It’s important to remember that when choosing a landscaper in Perth you need someone who cares about getting the planning, foundations and reticulation right.
Here at Luke’s Landscaping and irrigation services, we believe it’s what’s underneath that counts!
Need Us To Help With Your Garden?
- Our terrace house had a sad and seldom used rear courtyard which has absolutely no access other than via our living areas. This we thought would be a show-stopper but Luke’s landscaping had the expertise to take it on and swiftly provided us with a lovely design and costed implementation plan, which has simply transformed this area into a valuable extension of our living space. The construction work was carried out most diligently and despite having to transport removed debris, new limestone blocks and pavers, soil, mulch and many plants (including a very large tree) through our home, the professionalism of the whole process and the final cleanup left no sign of the major operation that had been undertaken, either internally or externally. Luke’s follow up on the project to address a couple of small issues has also been most helpful and certainly won’t hesitate in recommending Luke’s landscaping to others who have admired this transformed area! Thankyou.Catriona
- I could give Luke’s Landscaping a higher recommendation. They handled my front yard from design through to completion and I was so impressed by their work, attention to detail and communication at each step of the process. Such a great experience and I love coming home to my new front yard!Estelle
- I used Luke’s Landscaping to provide an overhaul of my front lawn with the task to reduce the amount of lawn and increase the low maintenance area including a rock feature. Also, they were used to provide a major landscaping overhaul for my Daughter’s back garden including lawns, garden beds and low water usage reticulation. All work was carried out within the agreed time schedule. The staff are very accommodating and pleasant to deal with. The work completed with efficiency, and all aspects were well-coordinated. The materials used were of a good quality that enhances the finished product. My daughter and I are very pleased with results.Warwick
- Luke's work has produced a beautiful Spring garden! Our home is now surrounded by a beautiful, healthy and blossoming Spring garden! All the hard work earlier in the year by Luke and his dedicated team is now evident - from the luscious green growth, to the well watered lawns. With the emphasis on the use of enriched soil, suitable plants and planting locations, plus the updating of the reticulation system - our garden will flourish for many years to come! Thanks Luke and your Team! P & J ChurchlandsP. Mahoney
Our front yard in Karrinyup was completely transformed in March 2015. In just one week, the team completed the job of removing what was there, replaced the topsoil, installed the reticulation and mulched with native plants. Four months on we are still so impressed with the job and delighted that we used Luke’s Landscaping. Highly recommended!
- Oh wow, where do I start . . . Right from our first contact with Luke we had a good feeling about it. Luke was friendly, approachable, knowledgeable, and very enthusiastic to meet our needs. He provided us with some much needed direction for our gardening endeavours, was professional, and always available to answer our questions. Once we decided on a plan, he coordinated all of the services and items that were needed, and provided us with an exceptionally hard working, and skilled, landscaper in Derick. Luke visited the project on several occasions, to make sure we were happy with it’s progress, to make some minor tweaks here and there, or deliver something that was needed. Our landscape project was relatively small but we never felt like we didn’t matter. The project started on time, and finished on time, and the yard was left spick and span. It’s a vast improvement on what was there before it, and given it’s almost spring, it shouldn’t be long before our garden takes on it’s real shape. We could not be happier with the end result, the price, and the service that we received from Luke and Derick. If you are looking to have a landscaping job done, either big or small, I’d definitely recommend giving Luke a call.Rick and Clare