WHAT TO DO WHEN YOU NEED TO INSTALL A HARD WIRED RETIC CONTROLLER
When installing, servicing and repairing reticulation controllers in Perth there are a number of things to be mindful of. Firstly, there are different types of controller set-ups. There are hard-wired controllers, in which the controller is directly connected to the electricity. In the picture below you will see a hard wired retic controller.
The two red wires on the left are going directly into the transformer and there is no power plug. The transformer turns the power from 240 Volts, which is lethal, to 24 Volts, which will operate a solenoid valve correctly. To be clear, we never open up the transformer box of a hard wired controller. This is illegal and very dangerous. If the controller is hardwired, we call our electrician to come and change it for us.
The two screws where the two red wires on the left hand side go into are the 24 Volt AC Ports which give the controller its 24 Volt power. These wires are not dangerous. The common wire port and solenoids wire ports screws are also not dangerous and we are allowed to wire up all low voltage retic wiring. If the controller is a plug in type and there is an available power point, then we can change it as long as we do not open that transformer box. To be clear, if the transformer needs replacing in one of these controllers, then again with the internal type of transformer we need to get our electrician to do this. Never replace the internal type of transformer and never replace a hardwired controller.
EXTERNAL TRANSFORMERS AND INDOOR CONTROLLERS
You will see another type of controller with an external Transformer. With these controllers, the two black wires from the external will run into the controller and into the two 24 volt ports inside the controller. These controllers are safe to install and replace, provided that there is a power point already installed by a licenced electrician. Again, do not open up the transformer. Never try to open up and fix a transformer. If the transformer stops working on these external models (BLACK EXTERNAL TRANSFORMER ONLY), then we just buy a new one and replace it. Most indoor controllers have an external transformer.
IS IT HARD WIRED OR NOT?
Below you will see a new example. If you look closely, the two black wires on the top right are going into the 24 volt AC ports in the controller. They are going into the wall cavity as you can see. It is very common, particularly with older jobs, to have a transformer in the roof cavity or plugged in inside with the wires running through the wall and back up into the controller. This type of controller is safe to change as the wires are already transformed down and are coming from an external transformer inside the house or roof or next to the controller on the wall. To see if the transformer has power, touch the two low voltage 24 volt wires coming from the transformer together (the ones you have taken out of the 24 Volt AC Ports). If they spark, you have power. If they do not spark, you need to locate the transformer and change it. Remember, you only change the plug in transformers that are outside of the controller and never change a transformer inside a controller. Never open a transformer to fix it, leave that to the electricians. Remember, never touch any wires going into any transformer and never touch any live power. We only deal with the low voltage wiring.
LOOP THE BORE WIRES
When servicing or installing any reticulation systems that have a bore, it is very important to make sure the bore wires are looped. See from the example below that there is only one wire going to a solenoid in station one. However, we have looped the wires from station 4 all the way back to station 1, meaning if station 4 is turned on, then station 1 will come on. If 3 is turned on, 1 will come on and so on. What we have done is looped any terminals not being used back to the nearest or last station to be wired in. What this does is protect the bore form running against a closed head. If we did not loop the wires and someone came and turned station 2 on by mistake, the bore would turn on but no solenoid would open up. The bore would be pumping and pumping but would be unable to release any water as it would stay contained in the main supply line. On any job where we service the retic, install the retic, are called to set the controller or anything else, we are responsible to check this and if the wires are not looped, then we need to loop them.
Need Us To Help With Your Garden?
Our front yard in Karrinyup was completely transformed in March 2015. In just one week, the team completed the job of removing what was there, replaced the topsoil, installed the reticulation and mulched with native plants. Four months on we are still so impressed with the job and delighted that we used Luke’s Landscaping. Highly recommended!
- Oh wow, where do I start . . . Right from our first contact with Luke we had a good feeling about it. Luke was friendly, approachable, knowledgeable, and very enthusiastic to meet our needs. He provided us with some much needed direction for our gardening endeavours, was professional, and always available to answer our questions. Once we decided on a plan, he coordinated all of the services and items that were needed, and provided us with an exceptionally hard working, and skilled, landscaper in Derick. Luke visited the project on several occasions, to make sure we were happy with it’s progress, to make some minor tweaks here and there, or deliver something that was needed. Our landscape project was relatively small but we never felt like we didn’t matter. The project started on time, and finished on time, and the yard was left spick and span. It’s a vast improvement on what was there before it, and given it’s almost spring, it shouldn’t be long before our garden takes on it’s real shape. We could not be happier with the end result, the price, and the service that we received from Luke and Derick. If you are looking to have a landscaping job done, either big or small, I’d definitely recommend giving Luke a call.Rick and Clare
- I could give Luke’s Landscaping a higher recommendation. They handled my front yard from design through to completion and I was so impressed by their work, attention to detail and communication at each step of the process. Such a great experience and I love coming home to my new front yard!Estelle
- I take this opportunity to thank you for a job well done. This is the second time I have used your services. Not only because you did such a good, clean and efficient job, but also the fact you responded to my inquiry in a professional and timely manner unlike many others who I had to recall and I still couldn’t get any response. I would also like to thank your staff who worked diligently until the job was done to our satisfaction particularly giving my wife and myself peace of mind. Therefore, I will always recommend your services to any family or friends, in fact if you need to send any prospective clients to view our garden feel free to do so. If you require any verbal reference feel free to have your client contact me. We wish you all the success in the future with your business.Aldo and Karen
- A huge thank you to the staff at Luke's Landscaping for the wonderful transformation of our front yard. It's gone from a sandpit to a gorgeous green oasis. The team worked so hard over the week to transform our gardens and we are very appreciative of the attention to detail and care they took.Christina and Darren
- Our terrace house had a sad and seldom used rear courtyard which has absolutely no access other than via our living areas. This we thought would be a show-stopper but Luke’s landscaping had the expertise to take it on and swiftly provided us with a lovely design and costed implementation plan, which has simply transformed this area into a valuable extension of our living space. The construction work was carried out most diligently and despite having to transport removed debris, new limestone blocks and pavers, soil, mulch and many plants (including a very large tree) through our home, the professionalism of the whole process and the final cleanup left no sign of the major operation that had been undertaken, either internally or externally. Luke’s follow up on the project to address a couple of small issues has also been most helpful and certainly won’t hesitate in recommending Luke’s landscaping to others who have admired this transformed area! Thankyou.Catriona