Winter Lawn Care
Ever wondered why with the onset of the colder months, your lawn is in a state of decline? Is your lawn lacking in colour? Are you noticing bare patches along with thinning out of the thatch layer?
Here at Luke’s Landscaping Co, we’re the experts when it comes to installing lawns in Perth and we know the secret to a winter lawn care. Today, we’re happy to share it with you.
A beautiful winter lawn is created NOW in Autumn prior to the onset of winter.
Now is the time to act (for lawns and gardens)
Below is some relevant information on what we can do for our customers to ensure their lawns will live up to our promise of lush green beautiful winter growth.
We’ve also included recommended mowing heights for buffalo and couch grasses in both summer and winter months. Get started on your winter lawn care below.
Lawn Installation & Maintenance
Here at Luke’s Landscaping, we specialise in Lawns & Reticulation. Just fill in your details and lawn requirements below and our team will get back to you shortly.
WHY DO LAWNS HAVE PROBLEMS IN WINTER?
For most lawn owners in Australia, we grow “warm season grasses” as our lawns. What this means is in warmer weather the grasses thrive and as the weather cools they go into a state of much-slowed growth or in some cases a state of semi-hibernation.
Without the rapid and regular growth associated with warmer weather, grasses will lose their dark green colour and will become slower to re-grow and repair damage. As the position of the sun changes in the sky it increases shade combined with lower daylight hours, a reduction in direct sunlight and lower soil temperatures, lawns will generally be at their most vulnerable and unable to repair or maintain good health as well as they can in warmer times.
WHAT IS THE SECRET TO A BEAUTIFUL LAWN IN WINTER?
A beautiful winter lawn is created in autumn, PRIOR to the onset of winter. That’s the secret! And it’s very simple. Once winter arrives, there is very little or much that can be done to bring a lawn to good health, or to maintain it there if the grass wasn’t already in maximum health prior to winter arriving.
WHAT ARE THE STEPS TO INCREASING LAWN HEALTH IN AUTUMN?
Realise and be aware of the importance of the lead-up to winter as being the time to create a beautiful winter lawn and act accordingly.
Increase mowing heights
As daylight hours decrease, so does the ability of lawns to photosynthesise, so by increasing mowing heights and leaving more green leaf, we increase the food supply to the grass. This step is essential and taking the mower up a notch or two should suffice.
Decrease watering as air and soil temperatures decrease
Overwatering at this time of year can increase the possibility of turf disease or rotting of the thatch layer.
Kill winter weeds
Generally, broadleaf weeds will become more prominent in winter as conditions for their survival improve and as the ability for the lawn to fight against them decreases. It is best to treat them as early as possible before they spread.
Overgrown trees and bushes may increase their shade levels in winter, and by the time you notice that your lawn has started dying in affected areas, it can be too late to repair the damage. So it’s best to plan ahead and prune trees and other bushes in autumn.
Treat winter grass
If you had winter grass last year, you’ll have it again this year too. Its continuing existence can choke the root system of your lawn throughout the year. Winter grass must be treated when it’s young, and the very best time to treat it is pre-emergent. That means knowing that winter grass will soon emerge and killing it before it is even seen. Winter grass can be treated pre-emergent from May.
One of the preferred treatments is a product called Kerb which needs to be applied either in the rain or immediately before the retic is put on. This product kills the seed just as it starts to germinate, which is the best way of controlling winter grass. Once it has germinated, it is very difficult to get on top of and produces millions of seeds which will only increase the problem in the lawn for the following years.
Lawn is a living thing and like all living things requires the right nutrients at the right time to look its best and have healthy vibrant growth. Often people treat lawn fertilising as an ad hoc event and do it sporadically without really thinking it through! The best results are when you follow a plan and do it evenly with a spreader applying the fertiliser at the right time always, without fail.
This means having a plan for fertilising at the right times with the right fertilisers. Put down a high quality winter fertiliser in May prior to winter arriving. Winter fertilisers contain higher levels of iron which is essential for good lawn health through winter. We recommend monthly fertilising with our specialized landscaping 28 day fertilisers.
RECOMMENDED MOWING HEIGHTS AND FREQUENCY
Buffalo grasses such as Sir Walter and other soft leaf Buffalo varieties should be mowed at a height approximately 20mm – 35mm in summer every 2 weeks. In the winter months the heights can be raised to approximately 30mm – 45mm and mowed every 3 weeks. If the lawn area has considerable shade cover these heights can be accordingly.
Couch grasses such as Winter Green, Greenlees Park, Winsor Green and Bermuda Couch, should ideally be mown every 10-14 days at a height of approximately 10mm – 12mm in summer and in winter mowing every 3-5 weeks raising the mowing height to 12mm – 16mm.
At Luke’s Landscaping, we specialize in Perth lawns and have extensive experience with lawn mowing, lawn spraying and general lawn care. When it comes to diagnosing problems in your lawn and fixing issues we are the ones to come to. We have our spraying licence and can spray for most weeds and pests and diseases in lawns. Remember one year’s weeds can be 10 years seeds! If you’re looking for Perth landscapers, we know how to get your garden looking its best.
Contact us now for an assessment from our friendly team at Luke’s Landscaping and achieve that lush green lawn you always wanted.
Our Guarantee to you
- We will clean up every time
- We only use the best machinery
- We will check your reticulation at the end of every job every time before leaving (lawn only)
- We can offer fertilising packages to keep your lawn healthy and green
Need Us To Help With Your Garden?
- I have used Luke’s Landscaping to do a major overhaul to the landscaping at my house and lots of other makeovers at my rental properties in the last three years. The professional service, fantastic results and the quick turnaround has meant that Luke is the first guy I call for my landscaping needs. I have been thrilled with the results and pleased with the attention to detail. I am happy to recommend this business.Paul
- I could give Luke’s Landscaping a higher recommendation. They handled my front yard from design through to completion and I was so impressed by their work, attention to detail and communication at each step of the process. Such a great experience and I love coming home to my new front yard!Estelle
- Luke's work has produced a beautiful Spring garden! Our home is now surrounded by a beautiful, healthy and blossoming Spring garden! All the hard work earlier in the year by Luke and his dedicated team is now evident - from the luscious green growth, to the well watered lawns. With the emphasis on the use of enriched soil, suitable plants and planting locations, plus the updating of the reticulation system - our garden will flourish for many years to come! Thanks Luke and your Team! P & J ChurchlandsP. Mahoney
Our front yard in Karrinyup was completely transformed in March 2015. In just one week, the team completed the job of removing what was there, replaced the topsoil, installed the reticulation and mulched with native plants. Four months on we are still so impressed with the job and delighted that we used Luke’s Landscaping. Highly recommended!
- I used Luke’s Landscaping to provide an overhaul of my front lawn with the task to reduce the amount of lawn and increase the low maintenance area including a rock feature. Also, they were used to provide a major landscaping overhaul for my Daughter’s back garden including lawns, garden beds and low water usage reticulation. All work was carried out within the agreed time schedule. The staff are very accommodating and pleasant to deal with. The work completed with efficiency, and all aspects were well-coordinated. The materials used were of a good quality that enhances the finished product. My daughter and I are very pleased with results.Warwick
- Our terrace house had a sad and seldom used rear courtyard which has absolutely no access other than via our living areas. This we thought would be a show-stopper but Luke’s landscaping had the expertise to take it on and swiftly provided us with a lovely design and costed implementation plan, which has simply transformed this area into a valuable extension of our living space. The construction work was carried out most diligently and despite having to transport removed debris, new limestone blocks and pavers, soil, mulch and many plants (including a very large tree) through our home, the professionalism of the whole process and the final cleanup left no sign of the major operation that had been undertaken, either internally or externally. Luke’s follow up on the project to address a couple of small issues has also been most helpful and certainly won’t hesitate in recommending Luke’s landscaping to others who have admired this transformed area! Thankyou.Catriona