Steps we often take (not always in this order either!)
- Testing the controller output and ensure output on all ports. It’s important to test the Master or pump port is sending a signal on each station. The Master or Pump Port will send a signal activating the Master Solenoid if your system runs off the mains water supply or will activate your Water Bore Pump via a low voltage relay. Your controller sends a low voltage signal through wiring (usually 5mm for residential reticulation systems.) to your solenoid valves which are normally in the ground in a protective box.
- We check the water source. Often it’s as simple as the isolation valve system which has been turned off. Sounds simple-(yes we know!) BUT we can’t tell you the number of times its something very simple like this. A quick check can save hours of unsuccessful problem solving.
- Check the retic controller has power. Often the back up battery can make it appear to have power but a back up battery does not normally have enough power to run the system. An easy way to check this if the controller is hard wired is to remove the battery. Another way is to check the two 24 colt AC ports. If the controller is good we will test it on manual and also on an automatic cycle as sometimes the controller works on Manual but not automatic.
- We run a test on the wiring using a Multi meter or Tech Tool. This helps us identify if there are any wiring issues or shorts in the system. If a short comes up we will check the coil on that station and the wiring connections. If we get an open circuit it means the wire has been cut or is no longer connected properly and we will get our tracker out and start to trace the break.
- Check the solenoid valves. Sometimes it can be an internal non-electrical issue in say the Master Valve or in a particular station.
- Check the meter box and ensure all circuit breakers are on (mainly if you have a bore).
- Check the bore relay is clicking in.
- We have a qualified electrician available for any electrical issues and no not all electricians are equal. Its important to get someone who understands bores and how they work and are set up electrically. Inexperienced electricians can wire things in the wrong way or use the wrong size or type of material, and can cost you much more in the long run with mistakes and incorrect problem solving.
- We have a qualified plumber also available who can install new isolation taps and fix most plumbing issues related to reticulation.
- We can check the gate valve as sometime the gate drops in older ones stopping the water flow.
- If everything is working and the water source is producing and the solenoid valves are opening and closing often this can indicate a break in the main supply line or a fitting that has come loose which we will look for.
- Another common problem is when a solenoid is sticking all the time. What this means is when another solenoid opens up it has no pressure as the water is escaping from the leaking sticking solenoid valve. (Station 1 stays on all the time even when 2,3 and 4 come on.
- Sometimes it can be sprinklers broken at the base where the sprinkler connects to the pipe and the water is escaping under the ground and you do not notice it right away.
- Your disk filter may be blocked.
- Your pressure relief valve may be activating and releasing all the pressure.
- There could be a problem with your bore pump that requires our pump specialist to look into it. Sometimes there is water but no pressure behind it indicating a problem which we need to address. A way to figure this out is a pressure test from the pump itself or where the main feed comes out of the ground before the solenoids.
- Broken wiring.
- A partial break in the wiring where its sending a signal but the signal is to low to properly activate the solenoid. Where this becomes confusing is sometimes it may work and sometimes it may not if its on the edge.
- A short in the system can be wiring joints/connectors that are old and corroded or they may be getting water in them (and cause a short when its wet and stop causing the short when its dry, this can be very confusing and frustrating for the home owner) Often people just tape the wiring connections as they low voltage, the tape can often get water inside causing a short. Using a water proof professional Gel Connector is a better way to go.
- There are many more steps we take and many more varied and different problems that can arise to stop a system working
If you need help repairing your retic sprinkler system in Perth then reach out to us. We have the parts , the equipment and the various trades needed to undertake the majority of problems with home residential retic systems and we are well established in the industry.
Call us on 0424 133 950 or send us an email at firstname.lastname@example.org
Need Us To Help With Your Garden?
Our front yard in Karrinyup was completely transformed in March 2015. In just one week, the team completed the job of removing what was there, replaced the topsoil, installed the reticulation and mulched with native plants. Four months on we are still so impressed with the job and delighted that we used Luke’s Landscaping. Highly recommended!
- I take this opportunity to thank you for a job well done. This is the second time I have used your services. Not only because you did such a good, clean and efficient job, but also the fact you responded to my inquiry in a professional and timely manner unlike many others who I had to recall and I still couldn’t get any response. I would also like to thank your staff who worked diligently until the job was done to our satisfaction particularly giving my wife and myself peace of mind. Therefore, I will always recommend your services to any family or friends, in fact if you need to send any prospective clients to view our garden feel free to do so. If you require any verbal reference feel free to have your client contact me. We wish you all the success in the future with your business.Aldo and Karen
- I have used Luke’s Landscaping to do a major overhaul to the landscaping at my house and lots of other makeovers at my rental properties in the last three years. The professional service, fantastic results and the quick turnaround has meant that Luke is the first guy I call for my landscaping needs. I have been thrilled with the results and pleased with the attention to detail. I am happy to recommend this business.Paul
- I used Luke’s Landscaping to provide an overhaul of my front lawn with the task to reduce the amount of lawn and increase the low maintenance area including a rock feature. Also, they were used to provide a major landscaping overhaul for my Daughter’s back garden including lawns, garden beds and low water usage reticulation. All work was carried out within the agreed time schedule. The staff are very accommodating and pleasant to deal with. The work completed with efficiency, and all aspects were well-coordinated. The materials used were of a good quality that enhances the finished product. My daughter and I are very pleased with results.Warwick