Straw Based Mulches
Straw, pea straw, lucerne and lupin mulches are four popular types of straw based mulches, used by Perth Landscapers. These are most beneficial when applied to edible and ornamental plant growing situations, including vegetables, fruit trees and flowering plants, a common feature in many residential landscaping projects in Perth. Straw mulches rapidly break down, adding beneficial nutrients to the soil, which is especially useful when growing vegetables. Straw is generally the most affordable of the four and if you are vigilant with your soil improvements, the added nitrogen that pea straw and lucerne contain, aren’t going to make a huge difference to your soils health. While the rapid breakdown of straw mulches means that beneficial nutrients are reaching plants faster, it also results in the need for more frequent mulch top ups, so being a keen gardener, (which edible and ornamental plant growers generally are) does help!
Wood and Bark Based Mulches
Wood and bark based mulches are the most prevalent mulch types used in Perth landscaping. When looking for a suitable wood or bark based mulch for your garden, be sure to opt for a medium to coarse grade mulch, which won’t absorb water, but rather enable it to reach the plants root zone where it is most needed. These types of mulches also tend to take longer to break down and are therefore a better medium term solution, in contrast to straw based mulches. Nitrogen drawdown is one issue that can occur with wood and bark based mulches. This is where microbes consume the majority of the available nitrogen in the soil, which in turn isn’t available to the plants. However, this is only one stage in the cycle which will pass. If you are concerned about this, blood and bone can be applied to the soil below the mulch, which provides an additional food source for the microbes, limiting any potential stress on plants.
Stone Based Mulches
Stone based mulches also known as inorganic mulches, don’t break down and therefore don’t have the added nutrient benefits of their straw, wood and bark based counterparts. Stone based mulches include materials such as river stones, gravels and scoria’s. These come in a wide range of sizes, textures and colours and can be a great addition for area’s where you are wanting to make a statement. They are especially applicable with the growing succulent and cacti landscaping trend in Perth. However, when considering a stone based mulch for your landscaping project, keep ongoing maintenance requirements in mind, as it can be difficult to pick up leaves and other debris from these types of surfaces.
As is with most things in life, looks can be deceiving with mulch as well. When carrying out landscaping in Perth environments, keep an eye out for mulch mixes on the market that contain peat, which is mined from fragile wetland areas. This wrecks havoc on these delicate ecosystems and is entirely unnecessary, when there are so many great alternatives available. Some mulch manufacturers will even go as far as dying their mulch a darker colour, to make it look more appealing and in some instances, they will use petrochemical based products to do the job! So if you care about the environment and unless your plants happen to have an acquired taste for diesel, stay well away from the above. Whatever mulch type you decide on, alway’s ensure you are purchasing this from an accredited supplier, that adheres to Australian Standards. Personally we LOVE the Green Life Soil Co products. They prepare some fantastic mulch mixes and can give you expert advice, on the best type of mulch and application for your property.
Need Us To Help With Your Garden?
- I used Luke’s Landscaping to provide an overhaul of my front lawn with the task to reduce the amount of lawn and increase the low maintenance area including a rock feature. Also, they were used to provide a major landscaping overhaul for my Daughter’s back garden including lawns, garden beds and low water usage reticulation. All work was carried out within the agreed time schedule. The staff are very accommodating and pleasant to deal with. The work completed with efficiency, and all aspects were well-coordinated. The materials used were of a good quality that enhances the finished product. My daughter and I are very pleased with results.Warwick
- I take this opportunity to thank you for a job well done. This is the second time I have used your services. Not only because you did such a good, clean and efficient job, but also the fact you responded to my inquiry in a professional and timely manner unlike many others who I had to recall and I still couldn’t get any response. I would also like to thank your staff who worked diligently until the job was done to our satisfaction particularly giving my wife and myself peace of mind. Therefore, I will always recommend your services to any family or friends, in fact if you need to send any prospective clients to view our garden feel free to do so. If you require any verbal reference feel free to have your client contact me. We wish you all the success in the future with your business.Aldo and Karen
- Oh wow, where do I start . . . Right from our first contact with Luke we had a good feeling about it. Luke was friendly, approachable, knowledgeable, and very enthusiastic to meet our needs. He provided us with some much needed direction for our gardening endeavours, was professional, and always available to answer our questions. Once we decided on a plan, he coordinated all of the services and items that were needed, and provided us with an exceptionally hard working, and skilled, landscaper in Derick. Luke visited the project on several occasions, to make sure we were happy with it’s progress, to make some minor tweaks here and there, or deliver something that was needed. Our landscape project was relatively small but we never felt like we didn’t matter. The project started on time, and finished on time, and the yard was left spick and span. It’s a vast improvement on what was there before it, and given it’s almost spring, it shouldn’t be long before our garden takes on it’s real shape. We could not be happier with the end result, the price, and the service that we received from Luke and Derick. If you are looking to have a landscaping job done, either big or small, I’d definitely recommend giving Luke a call.Rick and Clare
Our front yard in Karrinyup was completely transformed in March 2015. In just one week, the team completed the job of removing what was there, replaced the topsoil, installed the reticulation and mulched with native plants. Four months on we are still so impressed with the job and delighted that we used Luke’s Landscaping. Highly recommended!
- I have used Luke’s Landscaping to do a major overhaul to the landscaping at my house and lots of other makeovers at my rental properties in the last three years. The professional service, fantastic results and the quick turnaround has meant that Luke is the first guy I call for my landscaping needs. I have been thrilled with the results and pleased with the attention to detail. I am happy to recommend this business.Paul
- I could give Luke’s Landscaping a higher recommendation. They handled my front yard from design through to completion and I was so impressed by their work, attention to detail and communication at each step of the process. Such a great experience and I love coming home to my new front yard!Estelle