Soil pH and why it’s important
An important starting point for improving your soils health, is to determine it’s pH. This indicates the soil acidity, or alkalinity on a scale of 1 to 14. Alkaline soils have a pH of higher than 7 and acidic soils a pH of lower than 7 and Perth’s sandy soil, typically ranges from a pH of 4 to 8.5. You can test the pH of your soil either by using a soil pH test kit, which can be purchased at most garden centres, or if you want to get really scientific, you can also take a soil sample to a local laboratory for testing. Once you have determined your soils pH, you can make a start of establishing the optimum pH level for plants, which is generally within the pH range of 5.5 to 7.5. For acidic soils an application of dolomite lime at 100 grams per metre squared, can be used to increase the soil pH by 1 point. Patience is a must for this type of application, as it can take several months to take effect. In alkaline soils, iron sulphate can be applied to decrease the soils pH level (refer to instructions regarding quantities) and is almost instant, in contrast to the dolomite lime application.
Keeping water and nutrients in your sandy soil
Another common issue with sandy soils is water and nutrient retention. Effectively addressing this, will help to increase the overall health of your plants, decrease the amount of watering required and hinder the harmful effects of excessive nutrients leaching into the groundwater system and fragile ecosystems beyond. Organic materials, fine mineral particles and water absorbent gels, are all great ways to combat poor water and nutrient retention. Organic materials including composts, coco peat and broken down animal manure, are all beneficial soil additives. However, when these types of materials become dry, they may also become water repellent. Plant residues, either dry or green, can also be beneficial, but it is vital that these are well composted prior to application, or your plants may be susceptible to disease. Clay, loam and red mud, also known as finer particles, are also great in boosting water and nutrient retention, with the ideal clay content in soil being 5 to 10 percent.
Need Us To Help With Your Garden?
- Our terrace house had a sad and seldom used rear courtyard which has absolutely no access other than via our living areas. This we thought would be a show-stopper but Luke’s landscaping had the expertise to take it on and swiftly provided us with a lovely design and costed implementation plan, which has simply transformed this area into a valuable extension of our living space. The construction work was carried out most diligently and despite having to transport removed debris, new limestone blocks and pavers, soil, mulch and many plants (including a very large tree) through our home, the professionalism of the whole process and the final cleanup left no sign of the major operation that had been undertaken, either internally or externally. Luke’s follow up on the project to address a couple of small issues has also been most helpful and certainly won’t hesitate in recommending Luke’s landscaping to others who have admired this transformed area! Thankyou.Catriona
- Oh wow, where do I start . . . Right from our first contact with Luke we had a good feeling about it. Luke was friendly, approachable, knowledgeable, and very enthusiastic to meet our needs. He provided us with some much needed direction for our gardening endeavours, was professional, and always available to answer our questions. Once we decided on a plan, he coordinated all of the services and items that were needed, and provided us with an exceptionally hard working, and skilled, landscaper in Derick. Luke visited the project on several occasions, to make sure we were happy with it’s progress, to make some minor tweaks here and there, or deliver something that was needed. Our landscape project was relatively small but we never felt like we didn’t matter. The project started on time, and finished on time, and the yard was left spick and span. It’s a vast improvement on what was there before it, and given it’s almost spring, it shouldn’t be long before our garden takes on it’s real shape. We could not be happier with the end result, the price, and the service that we received from Luke and Derick. If you are looking to have a landscaping job done, either big or small, I’d definitely recommend giving Luke a call.Rick and Clare
- I could give Luke’s Landscaping a higher recommendation. They handled my front yard from design through to completion and I was so impressed by their work, attention to detail and communication at each step of the process. Such a great experience and I love coming home to my new front yard!Estelle
- Luke's work has produced a beautiful Spring garden! Our home is now surrounded by a beautiful, healthy and blossoming Spring garden! All the hard work earlier in the year by Luke and his dedicated team is now evident - from the luscious green growth, to the well watered lawns. With the emphasis on the use of enriched soil, suitable plants and planting locations, plus the updating of the reticulation system - our garden will flourish for many years to come! Thanks Luke and your Team! P & J ChurchlandsP. Mahoney
- A huge thank you to the staff at Luke's Landscaping for the wonderful transformation of our front yard. It's gone from a sandpit to a gorgeous green oasis. The team worked so hard over the week to transform our gardens and we are very appreciative of the attention to detail and care they took.Christina and Darren
- I take this opportunity to thank you for a job well done. This is the second time I have used your services. Not only because you did such a good, clean and efficient job, but also the fact you responded to my inquiry in a professional and timely manner unlike many others who I had to recall and I still couldn’t get any response. I would also like to thank your staff who worked diligently until the job was done to our satisfaction particularly giving my wife and myself peace of mind. Therefore, I will always recommend your services to any family or friends, in fact if you need to send any prospective clients to view our garden feel free to do so. If you require any verbal reference feel free to have your client contact me. We wish you all the success in the future with your business.Aldo and Karen