Soil pH and why it’s important
An important starting point for improving your soils health, is to determine it’s pH. This indicates the soil acidity, or alkalinity on a scale of 1 to 14. Alkaline soils have a pH of higher than 7 and acidic soils a pH of lower than 7 and Perth’s sandy soil, typically ranges from a pH of 4 to 8.5. You can test the pH of your soil either by using a soil pH test kit, which can be purchased at most garden centres, or if you want to get really scientific, you can also take a soil sample to a local laboratory for testing. Once you have determined your soils pH, you can make a start of establishing the optimum pH level for plants, which is generally within the pH range of 5.5 to 7.5. For acidic soils an application of dolomite lime at 100 grams per metre squared, can be used to increase the soil pH by 1 point. Patience is a must for this type of application, as it can take several months to take effect. In alkaline soils, iron sulphate can be applied to decrease the soils pH level (refer to instructions regarding quantities) and is almost instant, in contrast to the dolomite lime application.
Keeping water and nutrients in your sandy soil
Another common issue with sandy soils is water and nutrient retention. Effectively addressing this, will help to increase the overall health of your plants, decrease the amount of watering required and hinder the harmful effects of excessive nutrients leaching into the groundwater system and fragile ecosystems beyond. Organic materials, fine mineral particles and water absorbent gels, are all great ways to combat poor water and nutrient retention. Organic materials including composts, coco peat and broken down animal manure, are all beneficial soil additives. However, when these types of materials become dry, they may also become water repellent. Plant residues, either dry or green, can also be beneficial, but it is vital that these are well composted prior to application, or your plants may be susceptible to disease. Clay, loam and red mud, also known as finer particles, are also great in boosting water and nutrient retention, with the ideal clay content in soil being 5 to 10 percent.
Need Us To Help With Your Garden?
- I used Luke’s Landscaping to provide an overhaul of my front lawn with the task to reduce the amount of lawn and increase the low maintenance area including a rock feature. Also, they were used to provide a major landscaping overhaul for my Daughter’s back garden including lawns, garden beds and low water usage reticulation. All work was carried out within the agreed time schedule. The staff are very accommodating and pleasant to deal with. The work completed with efficiency, and all aspects were well-coordinated. The materials used were of a good quality that enhances the finished product. My daughter and I are very pleased with results.Warwick
- I take this opportunity to thank you for a job well done. This is the second time I have used your services. Not only because you did such a good, clean and efficient job, but also the fact you responded to my inquiry in a professional and timely manner unlike many others who I had to recall and I still couldn’t get any response. I would also like to thank your staff who worked diligently until the job was done to our satisfaction particularly giving my wife and myself peace of mind. Therefore, I will always recommend your services to any family or friends, in fact if you need to send any prospective clients to view our garden feel free to do so. If you require any verbal reference feel free to have your client contact me. We wish you all the success in the future with your business.Aldo and Karen
- We had our entire front Landscaping re-designed by Luke's Landscaping and they did a fantastic job. Works included new front letter box (brick, render, face plate), garden edging, reticulation install (dripper system) and planting design layout. All the trades were easy to deal with and very professional. The whole project was very well run by Allen who always kept us informed with what was happening and when. I would highly recommend.Brett, Harrisdale
- I have used Luke’s Landscaping to do a major overhaul to the landscaping at my house and lots of other makeovers at my rental properties in the last three years. The professional service, fantastic results and the quick turnaround has meant that Luke is the first guy I call for my landscaping needs. I have been thrilled with the results and pleased with the attention to detail. I am happy to recommend this business.Paul
- Oh wow, where do I start . . . Right from our first contact with Luke we had a good feeling about it. Luke was friendly, approachable, knowledgeable, and very enthusiastic to meet our needs. He provided us with some much needed direction for our gardening endeavours, was professional, and always available to answer our questions. Once we decided on a plan, he coordinated all of the services and items that were needed, and provided us with an exceptionally hard working, and skilled, landscaper in Derick. Luke visited the project on several occasions, to make sure we were happy with it’s progress, to make some minor tweaks here and there, or deliver something that was needed. Our landscape project was relatively small but we never felt like we didn’t matter. The project started on time, and finished on time, and the yard was left spick and span. It’s a vast improvement on what was there before it, and given it’s almost spring, it shouldn’t be long before our garden takes on it’s real shape. We could not be happier with the end result, the price, and the service that we received from Luke and Derick. If you are looking to have a landscaping job done, either big or small, I’d definitely recommend giving Luke a call.Rick and Clare
- Luke's team provided excellent service and project coordination. All the inhouse trades where great to work with and the external ones that they brought in were also great quality. The work was top notch, the areas where materials were stored where probably left tidier than when they arrived and the garden looks great. I would highly recommend!Leuan, Mount Hawthorn